Scott Opsal CFADirector of Research
Scott is Director of Research for The Leuthold Group, LLC. His responsibilities include conducting in-depth research projects and exploring fundamental and quantitative studies that support the firm’s portfolio and strategy recommendations. He also coordinates idea flow among the firm’s research team, sits on the firm’s asset allocation and investment strategy committees and is a regular contributor to The Leuthold Group’s institutional research publications.
Scott brings over thirty years of professional investment experience to the Leuthold team. As Chief Investment Officer of Invista Capital Management, and as Head of Equities at Members Capital Advisors, he was involved in all aspects of firm management; establishing policies on risk management, asset allocation, quantitative techniques, style-based investing, and taxable investing. He designed and implemented institutional-grade research and portfolio management processes to provide a rigorous, consistent framework for decision making and the analytical tools that drive strategy for multi-asset portfolios.
Scott’s past corporate-level activities included serving on management and investment policy committees, staff recruiting and hiring, representing the equity group at fund board meetings, marketing and support to wholesalers and financial representatives, and selecting outside sub-advisors.
In his experience as a portfolio manager, Scott introduced new tools including factor analysis, valuation models, quantitative ranking and comparison tools, target price and position weighting analysis, risk management, and performance attribution. He established relationships with top pension consulting firms and competed in institutional finals searches, bringing in new third party assets from a national base. Scott’s portfolio management assignments included international equity, domestic equity, taxable investing and convertible securities. He was twice named as one of Barron’s Top 100 Mutual Fund Managers.
Just prior to joining the Leuthold team, Scott fulfilled a lifelong career goal by serving as Director of the Applied Investments Program and teaching Security Analysis and other finance classes at the University of Wisconsin ̶ Whitewater.
Scott received his B.S.B.A. from Drake University in 1982 and an MBA from the University of Minnesota in 1983. He earned his CFA designation in 1986 and recently served on the CFA Society Madison Board of Directors.
- Stock Picking In A Season Of Animal Spirits [Of Special Interest] - 2 weeks ago
- Grappling With A Strong U.S. Dollar Outlook [Of Special Interest] - 1 month ago
- Factor Investing And The Importance Of Market Cycles [Of Special Interest] - 2 months ago
- Active Versus Passive Return Drivers: A Year-End... [Stock Market] - 2 months ago
- An Earnings Bottom...What's Next? [Of Special Interest] - 3 months ago
- Active Vs. Passive Return Drivers [COTW] - 3 months ago
- Trends In Corporate Debt And Coverage Ratios [Of Special Interest] - 3 months ago
- An Initial Look At Smart Beta And Factor Investing [Of Special Interest] - 5 months ago
- EPS Touching Bottom? [COTW] - 6 months ago
- The Fog Of Uncertainty [Stock Market] - 6 months ago
- Dependence On Initial Conditions, Valuations And... [Of Special Interest] - 6 months ago
- Same Ponds, Different Fish? [Of Special Interest] - 7 months ago
- REITs: “We Are #11” - A Fresh Look At The Newest GICS... [Of Special Interest] - 8 months ago
- Active vs. Passive: A Three-Club Headwind [Stock Market] - 9 months ago
- What’s Past Is Prologue [Stock Market] - 9 months ago
- Valuation Metrics: Numerators & Denominators [Of Special Interest] - 9 months ago
- Big U.S. Banks: We Have A Motion, Is There A Second? [Of Special Interest] - 1 year ago